The Singapore Personal Access or SingPass is a means to avail numerous digital services offered by government of Singapore. The services are offered by over 60 government agencies in Singapore. It requires that the user remembers only one password when connecting executing a transaction to avail the government facility. Thus, it’s so simple. We’ll offer a detailed solution here to the query, being: what is SingPass?
What is a 2FA?
2FA implies two-step verification. This is essential for e-transactions executed on government websites, because you're likely to use important data such as bank account id, password and so on. The 2FA makes your SingPass secure.
Under 2FA, you will be asked to enter a one-time password. The password is sent through an SMS, and can be generated using OneKey token. You need the SingPass username, password and 2FA authentication.
How to get my 2FA?
If you don't have a 2FA, you need to set one for the first time. Creating a 2FA is pretty easy. You need to just go through the few steps mentioned here.
1. Visit https://www.singpass.gov.sg/
2. Log into your SingPass account using SingPass ID and password
3. Register for SMS 2FA
4. Activate SMS 2FA. The following are the detailed steps for activation:
- Make sure the postal code you provide is correct.
- Fill out details, including your mobile number.
- SingPass alerts you when you make changes in your account details.
- Select the preferred mode as you like.
- Click Next.
- Enter the OTP (one-time password) you got through SMS to your mobile.
- Click 'Next'
- Wait for the PIN mailer to be sent to your registered address.
- Once you get the PIN mailer, you may activate your SMS 2FA.
- Now log on to your account with your username and password.
- Fill out the Activation PIN in the mailer.
- Click 'Activate'.
Thus, you have successfully established your SMS 2FA.
Who is eligible for a SingPass?
Before you start applying for a SingPass, check whether you’re eligible. To be eligible for SingPass:
- You must be a citizen of Singapore and be a permanent resident. Your must not be less than 15 years old.
- You are a pass holder (employment pass, EnrePass, Dependent Pass, S-Pass, LTV Pass Plus).
- Certain individuals with work permits who need SingPass can avail of digital services offered by government.
You may visit the WPOL's Enquiry Service to check your status.
Are foreigners eligible to get a SingPass?
All citizens of Singapore, and permanent residents of Singapore and other nationalities (foreign nationals) are permitted to participate in the application.
If you are a foreign national, you must have valid SingPass ID. If you don't have any, don't get disheartened -- you can create one. For this, visit the official SingPass website and follow the instructions on how to create a SingPass account. We’ve explained it in detail in a preceding section, and you can follow the same steps.
Where shall I register for a SingPass?
It is important to register for SingPass. To get started visit official website. Make sure your address in your FIN/NRIC is updated.
Then, click 'Register Now'.
Fill out the data before moving ahead.
Submitting Your SingPass Application Manually
Note that you can also submit a manual application. To get your SingPass office location in the proximity of your area, visit their official website.
Where to apply manually?
To submit a SingPass application manually, look for counter locations in your area.
When you visit the one of these centers you can do various things. Thus, you can apply for a new account.
You can get you password for SingPass reset.
You can update your account details and mobile number. You can register and activate your SMS 2FA instantly.
What documents to bring?
If you're going to submit SingPass application, you must carry the mandatory documents.
The documents that you must carry depends on whether you're a permanent resident, a Singapore citizen, or hold employment in Singapore.
We’ll specify here who needs which document:
- For citizens of Singapore: Singapore Passport, NRIC, Driving License, National Service IDs from SPF, SAF or SCDF
- For permanent residents: Passport with Re-entry Permit, NRIC, Singapore Driving License, National Service ID from SPF, SAF or SCDF
- For Employment Pass (EP) and Personalized Employment Pass (PEP) holders: need their EP/PEP card, Singapore Driving License
- For Singapore EntrePass holders: must carry Approval-In-Principle (AIP) and Passport, Singapore Driving License, or EntrePass card.
- For S-Pass holders: need to carry Singapore Driving License or S-Pass card
- For Eligible Work Permit (WP) holders: must carry WP card or Singapore Driving License
- For Dependant Pass (DP) holders (such as EP, PEP, EntrePass and S-Pass): you must have Singapore Driving License or DP card
- For Long-Term Visit Pass-Plus Issued by ICA holders: Singapore Driving License or Visit Pass (PLUS) Card is the mandatory
It is also important to note that when one person applies for SingPass, you cannot send another person to apply for the SingPass on your behalf. In other words, you need to apply for it solely for your personal use.
While applying for SingPass, it is important to understand the details of the answer to the query: what is SingPass? When you understand what the SingPass entails, it will be easier for you to apply for it whether you do it online or manually.